Synthesis of Iron Oxide (Fe₃O₄) Nanoparticles by Coprecipitation Method
- CHECK LISTIron(II) chloride (FeCl2.4H20), Iron(III) chloride (FeCl3.6H20), 25% Ammonium Hydroxide Solution (NH4OH), Deionized Water
- STEP 1.Take Iron(II) chloride (0.5g) and Iron(III) chloride (1.35g) in 50ml of deionized Water at 60°C under inert atmosphere (N2 or Ar gas flow).
- STEP 2.After 30 minutes of proper mixing, Inject 33ml of Ammonium Hydroxide Solution (Ammonium Hydroxide Solution is 25% diluted which is commonly available).
- STEP 3.After 2 hours of proper mixing at maximum rpm, color of solution turned into Black.
- STEP 4.Filter out the Black color powder, wash it with deionized Water and Ethanol several times to remove the unwanted impurities.
- RESULTSBlack color powder indicated the formation of Fe3O4 Nanoparticles. Average size during the synthesis was found to be 10-15 nanometers.
- NOTE: All the experiments should be done under the guidance of lab Incharge; and proper lab safety instructions.