Synthesis of Silica Nanoparticles by using Sol-Gel
- CHECK LISTSodium silicate solution (containing around 8% Na2O and 28% SiO2), Ammonia Solution, Ethanol, Water
- STEP 1.Take Sodium silicate solution (1ml) and add it into 15ml of water.
- STEP 2.Make second solution by mixing Ammonia (90ml) and Ethanol (30ml).
(NOTE: You can increase Ammonia concentration to further reduce Silica particle size.)
- STEP 3.Add Sodium Silicate solution drop wide into Ammonia+Ethanol solution.
- STEP 4.After 1 hour of aging, wash and centrifuge the formed product. Finally dry it to get the powder of Silica Nanoparticles.
- RESULTSSize of the formed Silica Nanoparticles should be around 80nm. Broad peak around 24 two theta should be observed in XRD. FTIR consist of peaks at 1094–1100 cm−1 for Si–O–Si; and the band at 466–470 cm−1 for Si–O–Si.
- NOTE: All the experiments should be done under the guidance of lab Incharge; and proper lab safety instructions.