Synthesis of Graphene Quantum Dots (GQDs) from Azadirachta Indica (Neem) Leaves
- CHECK LISTNeem Leaves, Deionized Water, Beaek, Magnetic Stirrer with Temperature option, FIlter Paper
- STEP 1.Take fresh Neam leaves, wash properly and dry at 60-80°C for some time until all the water content in the leaves evaporates. Crush the dried Neam leaves to form the fine powder.
- STEP 2.Take Neam leaves fine powder, and Pyrolysis it at 1000°C for 5 hours under inert gas to from Black colored Carbon powder.
- STEP 3.Take Black colored Carbon powder in RB flask. Add Sulfuric Acid (H2SO4) and Nitric Acid (HNO3) in 3:1 ratio respectively, and setup reflux at 80°C for 5 hours.
- STEP 4.More water was added to dilute the synthesized GQDs. Brow colored solution containing GQDs was filtered out to separate out unreacted content.
- RESULTSGraphene Quantum Dots (GQDs) color would be Brown; Fluorescence of GQDs found to be Green color, when excited in UV radiations. UV-VIs spectroscopy absorbance peak would be obtained around 280nm; Raman spectroscopy D band and G band would be obtained at around 1300cm-1 and 1550cm-1 respectively.
- NOTE: All the experiments should be done under the guidance of lab Incharge; and proper lab safety instructions.