Easy Synthesis of Graphene Oxide from Citric Acid
- CHECK LISTCitric Acid, Sodium Hydroxide, Deionized Water, Magnetic Stirrer, Round Bottom Flask, Beaker and Dropper.
- STEP 1.Take Citric Acid (5g) in RB Flask.
- STEP 2.Setup the oil bath and set temperature to 200ºC.
- STEP 3.Put RB Flask in oil bath, when the temperature reaches 200ºC.
- STEP 4.Color of Citric acid will change to light Yellow (after 5 min), to Orange (after 30 min), to dark Brown (after 60 min). Dark Brown color solution was used for the next step.
- STEP 5.Add the Dark Brown colored liquid in 3.5% Sodium Hydroxide Solution (3.5g NaOH in 100ml of deionized water).
- RESULTSBrown color indicates the formation of Graphene Oxide. You can go for Raman Spectroscopy for the characterization and explore InstaNANO for Raman of Graphene and Graphene Oxide and other characterization of Graphene Oxide.
- NOTE: All the experiments should be done under the guidance of lab Incharge; and proper lab safety instructions.