Synthesis of Graphene Oxide (GO) by Modified Hummer’s Method
- CHECK LISTGraphite, Sulphuric Acid, Potassium Permanganate (KMnO4), Hydrogen Peroxide (H2O2), Water, Beaker, Measuring Cylinder, Magnetic Stirrer
- STEP 1.Take Sulphuric Acid (25ml) in Ice Bath and add Graphite (1g) with proper stirring.
- STEP 2.Add Potassium Permanganate(3g) very slowly by keeping the temperature less than 20ºC and stir for more 3 hours (NOTE: You may remove the ice bath after 20 minutes and again setup for STEP3).
- STEP 3.Add distilled water (50ml) dropwise by keeping the temperature less than 50ºC.
- STEP 4.Add distilled water (100ml) instantly for complete oxidation.
- STEP 5.Add Hydrogen Peroxide (5ml) for the completion of the reaction.
- RESULTSGraphene Oxide (GO) colour would be dark brown; UV-VIs spectroscopy absorbance peak would be obtained around 250nm; Raman spectroscopy D band and G band would be obtained at around 1300cm-1 and 1550cm-1 respectively.
- NOTE: All the experiments should be done under the guidance of lab Incharge; and proper lab safety instructions.